Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

In His Arms - It's Raining Men



Now it's day four of our special pre-release week to celebrate Tina Donahue's coming book In His Arms from Ellora's Cave.

Over the last few days, we've talked about the fascinating cover, the relationship between the main characters of In His Arms, and just what RJ looks like and what inspired him. If you missed those, you can go back to my Yahoo Group and Blog to catch up.

Today, I want to move away from focusing in on particulars in the story and look at things from a more general point of view...

Erotica romance is written primarily for women. My own market research has found that the "target demographics" are married women, 24-41 years old, with two or more kids, and employed more than twenty hours a week. Hell, I have five PhDs, two MS, and a couple of BS degrees (don't ask...it will give you a headache!), and I barely know what "target demographics" are, let alone how you define and use them.

They tell me that this group buys about 70% of the erotica romance books. Of the remaining 30%, about half are bought by women outside of that main group. What about the other 15%?

The studies find that men buy the rest. The largest single group of men that buy erotica romance are 30-45, single/divorced, heterosexual, and white-collar employed fulltime. They account for nearly 10% of total sales.

Now, here's the funny part, at least to me...

These men say that they do like the sex scenes, but that's not the main reason they read the books. They claim that they, like our women readers, like the romance and love the stories convey.

So, Tina, how do you feel about the fact that as many as 10% or so of your readers are straight men? Do you write stories aimed at men in any way, or do you target women only and the men fend for themselves?

Keep Loving!

Melodee Aaron, Erotica Romance Author
Home Page
Melodee's Books at BookStrand
Inquisitor Betrayer


5 comments:

  1. Morning, Melodee!!

    I actually write for myself, because I know what I like in a guy and, as you know, when you're writing, you can't fake emotion.

    I prefer Alpha males with a tender heart for their ladies. Commanding yet compassionate. Masculine, not macho. Assertive, not aggressive.

    I think it's gratifying that guys like erotic romance, especially the emotional aspects.

    Maybe there is hope foR ladies in meeting these special guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be wonderful if more men read erotic romance. What better way than understanding what women need in their lives and in the bedroom.

    With DH, I share excerpts from my books and ask him what he thinks? And he wonders where I get my ideas. *waggles eyebrows*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Armenia - whatever keeps the flames of passion burning and combusting is A-okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Armenia and Tina, you described the perfect Alpha male.
    Men could learn so very much about passion if they read erotic romance.Your books have such passionate and sexy heros Tina.
    Carol L.
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Carol - thanks for the kind (and true) comments. If more guys knew that macho is a turn-off and cherishing is a turn-on, the better we'd all be. :)

    ReplyDelete